THIS is AMERICAN IDOL!

<i><b>THIS</b> is AMERICAN IDOL!</i>

IDOL IS BACK!!!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Top 12: Where Do Broken Idols Go? EEK and YIKES!

And we're back for another week . . . and J-Lo is bringin the Cray Cray hair . . .

This season I am purposely staying away from the song spoilers . . . I missed the days when I was surprised. :)

Here is our Top 12! WTF is up with Karen's hair - circa Madeline Kahn in Young Frankenstein?

We have songs from the year the contestants were born.

1. Naima - (1984) - She is singing "What's Love Got To Do With It" by Tina Turner. Her vocals better improve 100% from last week cuz she ain't gonna be doin any dancing this week. The beginning is VERY karaoke. The girl has a very good stage presence, but her vocals are just ok. . . very pitchy in parts. She is definitely a performer . . .btw, those background singers are not doing her any good . . . sounds like a backup track.

Steven - He thinks she did a great job
JLo - thinks she is consistently pitchy, but thinks her flava is crazy
Randy - thinks she is always under the pitch

2. Paul (1984) - Y'all know I love this boy . . . and on this blog I'm on the isle of unpopular opinion :) . . . He's singing "And I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" by Elton John. As per usual, this performance could be great or awful. I do love this boy's stage presence, and I'm glad he is singing a more recognizable song. He is very pitchy in places, but he is working the stage. I'm not in love with this song choice for him . . . and I don't think he is doing anything to endear himself to Rubbertoe. :) I liked it, but certainly didn't love it.

JLo - She thinks he has soul and star quality that overcomes his voice issues.
Randy - Thinks he was very pitchy in the first half of the song, but thinks he is like Ray LaMontagne . . . somewhere Allison is dying
Steven - Thinks he is a cool dude in a loose mood

An aside: I originally thought that JLo was the new Paula . . . I am now definitely sure that Steven is the new Paula.

3. Thia (1995) - Good Lord, she is a youngun. She is singing "Colors of the Wind" by Vanessa Williams. Hmmmm . . . She looks beautiful. Much like last week, I think her voice is lovely, but this is boring. She just doesn't quite have the energy to "bring it" for these ballads. I think she is going back to the bottom three.

Randy - He was bored and felt like he was at a pageant somewhere.
Steven - He thinks she sang it beautifully, but wonders if it is really her
JLo - Um, did she just compare her to Adele . . . blasphemy. She wants her to push out of the box.

4. James - (1989) - He looks hot . . . just sayin . . . He is singing "I'll Be There For You" by Bon Jovi. I've got to say, this performance has the potential to be EPIC. He was born to sing the power ballads. I'm really not digging the background singers tonight. I am digging James' stage presence. Honestly, he is a little pitchy, but he is much better than the first three. However, this performance did not blow me away the way I hoped it would.

Steven - Doesn't want James to get too "poppy" on him. Love that Tyler just got bleeped for saying "shit".
JLo - She thought he was great.
Randy - Thought it was a little pitchy, but made it his own.

I think Ryan is moist like a Duncan Hines cake . . .

5. Haley - (1990) She is singing "I'm Your Baby Tonight" by Whitney Houston. This performance has the potential to be a D-I-saster. However, I give her props for trying to reverse the boring trend she started last week. OOOOOH NO! This is a truly awful beginning. Ok, she has picked it up a little bit in the middle of the song . . . but still karaoke. Haley is not making a great case for her safety. Yikesies!

JLo - Thinks she looks great (uh oh) . . . She feels like she is a bit tense and unsure.
Randy - He is a little confused by her lack of consistency in song choice.
Steven - He thought it was sweet and tough . . . and compared her to Janice Joplin . . . huh? I think Steven smoked some shake before the show tonight.

Five performances and not a stand out amongst the bunch.

6. Stefano (1989) - He is singing "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red. I am VERY hopeful for this performance. This could be an Idol moment for Stefano . . . but I won't hold my breath. FINALLY! Ladies and Gents, we finally have a vocally superior performance. That being said, it is a boring song, but he can blow. Bum note at the end . . .

Randy - He thought it was the best performance of the night so far
Steven - He thought he had beautiful phrasing
JLo - She thought it was a beautiful performance, and that he could "take this thing".

It was a good performance, but I think they are over the top because the first five were so-so at best.

7. Pia - (1988) She is singing "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" by Whitney Houston. Celine and Whitney back to back . . . this is ballsy. This girl has superstar written all over her. She's working her perfect pitch again this week. Wow! Go girl! Ain't nothin else to say.

Steven - He thinks she took it over the top.
JLo - She loves that she did something uptempo
Randy - He thinks that every week she is bringing amazing vocals. . . I agree.

8. Scotty - (1993) - He is singing "Can I Trust You With My Heart" by Randy Travis. I will try to keep an open mind. Honestly, I think if he didn't have a bass voice he wouldn't be here. He just doesn't have any energy . . . nevertheless, he will get a recording contract. He does his thing very well, but it's not my thing. Very good vocal.

JLo - She thinks he pushed it out there.
Randy - He thinks he can sing anything, and wants him to take chances
Steven - Loved it

9. Karen - Again, she looks like Madeline Kahn after she got fucked by Frankenstein. WTF? (1989) She is singing "Love Will Lead You Back" by Taylor Dayne. I LOVE this song. It has HUGE meaning for me. I wish Pia was singing it . . . She looks like she is wearing fish scales . . . Surprisingly, her voice sounds pretty good . . . but it doesn't have the umph that this song demands. I think she has saved herself from elimination, but I still don't buy her as a performer.

Randy - Yo . . . thought is started rough, but she found herself in the middle of the song.
Steven - Loves it when she breaks into her ethnic "whatitisness"
JLo - She thought she attacked it in the middle.

10. Casey - (1991) He is singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. He is taking a risk, but I think he will be ok. Um . . . I like Casey, but the beginning of this song is a little bit of awful. This is NOT good. Yikesies. Please make it stop. Wow, that was truly awful. . . and yet, I don't think it will send him to the bottom three.

Steven - He thinks he is crazy and talented. "It's the goop the good stuff is made from"
JLo - She thought he was a little screechy and screamy
Randy - Randy is pimping him by saying that he put art first rather than commerce.

That was truly awful.

11. Lauren (1994) - She is singing "I'm The Only One" by Melissa Etheridge. I LOVE this song . . . hopefully she will redeem herself from last week. A vast improvement from last week already. She sounds really good, and is definitely one of the best of the night. However, she is still a little shaky at times.

JLo - Thought she made it her own
Randy - Thought it was very nice
Steven - Thought she sang better with the sickness

12. Jacob - (1990) He is singing "Alone" by Heart. I admit up front that I don't like Jacob's nasal voice. It drives me crazy. The judges are going to love this performance, as they did last week. However, he continues to sing through his nose, and I think this is over the top awfulness. He is pitchy and all over the place . . . however, I fully expect to be on the island of unpopular opinion. HORRIBLY TERRIBLY WRETCHEDLY BAD!

Randy - Very nice performance
Steven - Thinks if the gospel had a baby they would name it Jacob Lusk
JLo - Thinks he gives himself to every performance

My ears are bleeding . . .

Rankings:

Pia
(Huge Space)
Lauren
(Space)
Stefano
Scotty
(Space) and the rest
James
Karen
Paul
This
Haley
Naima
Jacob
Casey

Josh's bottom 3: Naima, Jacob, and Casey
America's bottom 3: Thia, Haley, and Naima
Going Home: Haley

No comments: