THIS is American Idol.
Here come the peeps, and it looks like Lil Rounds is in the pimp spot.
1. Von Smith – He’s the screamer from the early rounds. He’s singing “You’re All I Need” by Marvin Gaye. . . Some of you may recall that Kelly Clarkson knocked this one out of the park in Season One. . . Let’s see . . . The screamer is showing some nice restraint in this song, but it comes off a little soul-less . . . the ending was very, very good. . . all that being said, he has a lovely voice, and has got a shot at the Wild Card round. All the judges loved him, and Simon thinks he reminds him of Clay Aiken.
2. Taylor V. – Young Taylor is singing, “If I Aint Got You” by Alicia Keys . . . this is risky . . . Ms. Alicia has such a distinctive voice. She has a lovely voice, but for some reason, its just not striking the right chord with me. I’m not sure why. She was a little awkward on stage, and is showing her age. I don’t think she’s going through. Ahhhh, I had forgotten that she sang this song in Hollywood. Kara thought she was good but it left her cold. Paula felt the same way. Simon thought she was not memorable. Randy thought it was boring.
3. Alex Wagner-Trugman – He’s the dorky one from the early rounds. He’s singing, “Well I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues” by Elton John. He’s starting off a little awkwardly and SHOULD NOT DANCE. This is not good. It’s not horrible, but it is definitely not good. No. No. No. Here come the judges. Paula thinks he gave us our money’s worth, and she had fun watching him. Simon thinks he is like a little hamster trying to be a tiger. Randy thinks it was crazy in a buckwild sort of way. Kara thinks he does him . . . he’s Alex. He’s also going home . . . so he can do him.
4. Arianna Afsar – She’s about to sing “Winner Takes All” by Abba. It’s the first Abba song ever performed live on Idol. Hmmmm . . . I’m not really sure about this one. Her voice is good and she’s got some nice runs, but it sounds kind of awkward. . . . until she hits the high notes . . . except the last one. Simon thinks it was horrible. Randy thinks she tried to do more with it vocally than was there. Kara thought she was too dark and went against her personality. Paula thinks that sometimes its better to stick to the melody. She’s NOT going through, but I have a feeling that she’ll be back for the Wild Card round.
5. Ju Not Joyner – He’s singing the Plain White T’s “Hey There, Delilah” . . . I think he did this in Hollywood . . . I hope I’m wrong. He shouldn’t do the same song again. I like his rendition of this song . . . Randy thought it was good restraint, Kara thinks he has ridiculous pipes, Paula reminds us that he sang the same song in Hollywood, but she liked it. Simon thought it was better than he thought it was going to be. He’s got a shot . . . depends on the competition . . . better shot at the Wild Card.
6. Kristen McNamara – She was a part of the quartet of drama in Hollywood. She’s singing, “Gimme One Reason” by Tracy Chapman . . . She’s definitely got a strong voice. She needs some fashion advice . . . she looks a lot older than she is. Again, she’s got a great voice. Kara thinks she looks better . . . er . . . and thinks she has a great voice, but questioned the song choice. Paula thought the Kelly Clarkson she picked in Hollywood showed off her voice better. Simon complained about her fashion, but thinks she has a good voice. Randy agrees with Simon and isn’t sure who she is. I’m not sure who she is. I am sure that she won’t make the Top 12.
7. Nathaniel Marshall – He called himself the drama queen. Tonight, he is singing, “I Would Do Anything For Love” by Meat Loaf . . . better work it, girl. Early on, he’s workin a wheel of cheese. I think his voice is solid, but this song should be bigger and over the top, and he’s toned it down waaaaaaaaaaay too much. Simon thought it was slightly excruciating, but people will remember him. Randy likes him, but questions the song choice. Kara thinks he has a voice, but thinks he’s got to change some things to be taken seriously. Paula loves him and remembers that he did an acoustic version of Disturbia during Hollywood, but thinks he needs to be wiser with his song choice. I’m not sure . . . I strangely think there’s a shot he could get through.
8. Felecia Barton – She didn’t make it at first, and then someone got kicked out, and now she’s back. She’s singing, “No one” by Alicia Keys. Let’s see what she does with her second chance. One bum note notwithstanding, she was perfect. Brillz! Brillz! Brillz! Paula thinks that everything happens for a reason, and that she has a great gift. Simon thought was the first half was better than the second half, and is not as enthusiastic as Paula. Randy thought it was hot. Kara thinks she was a wee bit pitchy, but really noticed her tonight.
9. Scott – the unforgettable blind guy. I worry about him without the piano, but I think barring a disaster, he’s going through. He’s singing, “Mandolin Rain” by Bruce Hornsby . . . I don’t really know this song. Oh yeah, I remember. I didn’t think it was spectacular, but the Idol Machine has pimped him enough for that performance to get him through. Randy thinks there were some problems, but that the good parts were GREAT. Kara thinks that he moves mountains when he sings. Paula thinks that he is a genius at the piano, and one of Idol’s finest. Simon wasn’t crazy about the song, but he’s growing on Simon because he’s starting to believe in himself. In a sea of forgettable people, he’s going to remember him.
10. Kendall Beard – She’s singing “This One’s For The Girls” by Martina McBride. Maybe her dad will do the alligator dance if she gets through. The low range is a little rough. . . but the high notes are much better. I’ll give her this, it was uplifting and fun. It was a solid performance, but she’s out of her league tonight. Kara thinks she’s got a big personality and picked the right song, but thinks she was pitchy. Paula gives her the prize for the best outfit, but hopes she enjoyED it. Simon thinks she did the right thing tonight, but couldn’t wait for it to end. Randy liked the song choice, but didn’t think it was her best vocal performance. She’s out of her league in this group.
11. Jorge Nunez – He’s singing “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me” by Elton John . . . Um, did he see the finale last year . . . could be risky . . . very, very risky. Absolutely beautiful voice. I thought he was great. There is something quite awkward about his accent with the song, but his voice was absolutely wonderful. Paula is SO proud of him, and wants to squeeze him. Simon thinks he has a good voice, and should be who he is. Randy thinks that it was really, really good . . . dude. Kara thinks he was born to sing. I think, at this point, he and Felecia are fighting for third . . . because . . . look who’s coming next.
12. Lil Rounds - Oh Lord, Lil is singin, “Be Without You” by Mary J. Blige. Girl looks FIERCE! She has got a great stage presence. A-MAZ-ING! Simon says BRILLIANT. Randy agrees with Cowell, and thinks she kept her swagger on. Kara thinks she is a powerhouse . . . girl. Paula thinks she is first class, and thinks we’ll see her for many more . . . er, um . . . lil rounds. Girl is through to the next round . . . no doubt.
And we’re through another round of the Top 36. I think that Lil Rounds and Scott are definitely through, and I think that Jorge, Felecia, and possibly Von are fighting for the third spot. I’ll be back soon with the rankings.