THIS is AMERICAN IDOL!

<i><b>THIS</b> is AMERICAN IDOL!</i>

IDOL IS BACK!!!

Monday, April 28, 2008

The Top 4 Curse: Will It Continue?

I know, I know, we are just in the Top 5, but Rubbertoe's previous post with the inclusion of the name Jasmine Trias made me think of the American Idol Top 4 curse. Then, I really started thinking about it . . . The Top 4 curse has only happened every other year.




In American Idol 1, Tamyra Gray was booted in the Top 4 before her rightful place in the finals. The Kelly & Tamyra finale seemed a foregone conclusion. This upset left Justin Guraini and Nikki Mckibbon to fight for runner up status to Kelly Clarkson.



In American Idol 3, Latoya London was unceremniously dumped in the Top 4 depriving her of her rightful place in the finals. Leaving Jasmine Trias and Diana DeGarmo to fight for runner-up status . . . though L & I might argue that Ms. DeGarmo performed well enough in that finale to pull an upset. . .



Finally, in AI 5, the now multi-million selling Chris Daughtry was booted in the Top 4 when, well pick from Taylor, Katharine, and Elliot, were left behind to fight it out for the crown. An aside: We all knew that Taylor was going to win at this point . . . in retrospect any, and I do mean ANY, of the other three would have been a preferential choice to Taylor - fun on stage, but I believe Idol's market cred took a hit. . .

I never really thought about it before, but the Top 4 curse has skipped a year, and only on odd years has reared it's ugly head. Now, we are heading towards the Top 4 in AI 7 . . . the curse is due to strike again. If it goes according to form one of the Davids will be at risk - as they are the two CLEAR frontrunners. What do y'all think? Will the Idol curse strike again?

Just curious . . .

2 comments:

Rubbertoe said...

Interesting analysis. I agree that Daughtrey getting kicked was a complete fiasco....and I disagree that everyone knew Taylor was going to win. I couldn't believe that he was still around. He should have been voted off around 8 or 9.....I didn't believe he was actually going to win until Daughtrey left....at that point, the fact that he was still there...it was obvious that Elliot would be the next to go...and McPhee just was not a strong contender. THAT was they worst finale of all time.....the only possible challenger was the Fantasia/DeGarmo year. Although AI never releases voting totals...that must have been a landslide. A LaToya/Fantasia finale would have been a much better show.

I don't look for the curse to strike again. I think both David's are safe.....I is clearly going to be a David v. David finale....
I think it will go down like this:
(obviously without the benefit of seeing the performances....so I will adjust after tonight)...but I see it...Syesha, Jason, Brooke, David C.....David A.

DrL/K said...

My thought at this point, would be that Syesha will probably make it to the number four spot. It just looks like it has to be a David/David finale - and I honestly don't think any of the others are strong enough to give a David any real competition - if a David was booted at number four. (That sounds goofy, but I can't think of a better way to say it!)