THIS is AMERICAN IDOL!

<i><b>THIS</b> is AMERICAN IDOL!</i>

IDOL IS BACK!!!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Opportunity knocks twice/April fool's?

OK....so the blog is going to be a little long today....but hopefully it will be worth it.

So you know the old saying....something about how opportunity only knocks once so you better be there to greet it?
Tuesday morning I come into work and pick up my voice mail. There is a message from Nicole (my friend, the original RLO [Robert's law clerk] and one of my peep's here).....saying that she has tickets to American Idol on Tuesday....call her as soon as I get this message because if I can't go she wants to find someone else. Problem is....I was at the jail all Monday afternoon and didn't get the message. I was bummed.....OMG! How could I have missed the chance to go to American Idol....especially on Dolly Week (I LOVE Dolly Parton)....so I call anyway....and say "Hey...if you haven't found someone PLEASE call me)....I go down to court...and check my voicemail at least 10 times to see if she called me back....each time only to hear "You have 18 saved messages"....not a single new one.
I'm even more bummed now and come back to my office (Its almost noon)....and I pick up my phone (beep, beep beep...meaning I have a new message)...its Nicole saying that she still has room for me. I'm estatic....I call her back...and as the phone is ringing....it occurs to me that it is April Fool's day.....now Nicole knows that I am an AI freak.....(A good freak)...and it would be hilarious to play a joke on me (Kinda like those fake lottery ticket scratchers)....but I know Nicole and she isn't that cruel.......or is she. She answers....I immediately ask...."tell me this isn't April Fool's....because if it is...I want to know now. Turns out....she isn't that cruel...and if I can sneak out of the office and be at CBS studios at 3:15 I'm in.
So I throw my afternoon files at one of my colleagues...hop on the subway and head off for CBS.
When I get there...there is a long line and we don't know if we are getting in. My excitement turns to worry.....but we have priority tickets....what does that mean? It means, we don't have to wait in line....only problem....one of our friends (Navid) is coming and they won't let us in without the entire group of us. They are starting to prioritize the stand-bys...and I am getting worried....when Navid shows up and we are wisked away to the security check. At this point, I find out that not only are we in....we are going to be in the mosh pit.
We are given our wristbands and taken through security....we wait outside on benches until she are led in and "placed" in our location. The soundstage is so much smaller than it looks on TV....but there is the stage...and the band....and the judges stand....and I am placed almost right next to Randy Jackson's seat.....about 20 feet from the stage.
The Cheerleader guy comes out and tells us...we have to cheer for everyone.....be very excited so it plays well on TV.....we are told to clap over our heads on fast songs.....sway our arms on slow songs....yada yada yada......

Then Ryan comes out and greets everyone.....its only a few minutes to live feed to the East Coast.....the bring in the idols.....they walk in from the soundstage side entrance and right past us. OMG!.....

Here is one of my most memorable moments......I yell to Jason Castro (in all his cuteness- and can I tell you....his eyes are more beautiful in person than even on TV)....."We love you Jason"....he immediately makes eye contact with me and gives me this nervous smile.....(so if during the finals...they ask him "what was your most strange experience" and he answers "during Dolly week when the old guy in the suit in the mosh pit tried to pick me up"....you'll know what he is talking about.

The judges are introduced....Paula is super nice to everyone.....and they tell everyone to be quiet...until Ryan says "this is AI"....then go crazy.
They do the stupid AI....Moment of truth beginning and then Wh-hooo....the show is on.

Brooke is up first - In the studio she sounds GREAT......the judges don't think so.....watching it back on tape....I agree...it was better in person (Can I say though....she was completely stand off-ish....really only focused on her family in the audience) (B-)

Next up....David Cook...my new fav....and he is good. So cute and personable with the crowd before the performance. His performance showed some versatility.....(A)

Ramiele was next - she comes out and looks really nervous while they are setting up for her...in the soundstage it was really hard to hear her sing....her lower range is drowned out by the band. During the critique, she looks like she is crying....watching it back on TV...she just looks stoned....when it cuts to commercial and Ramiele leaves the stage...it appears that she is crying.....I think she knows she is going home. (C+)

Jason Castro - So cute....and so adorable. In the theater he sounds good....not great...I'm thinking...oh no....bottom 3 again....but watching it back on TV...he sounds incredible. During the break he talks with the audience in his goofy kinda way....girls are screaming "we love you"....yeah...."girls were screaming......"...... (B+)

Carly is next - During her video with Dolly they are setting her up on stage. She looks trashy.....some maroon pants and an ugly black blouse. Her performance.... sounds a little weak in the theater....sounds better on TV. Still can't figure out what her niche is. She comes across all business...like "this is my last chance"....and yet knowing that she isn't going to cut it....its too bad because she really does have a nice voice.
(When we are leaving I see her husband....I tell him..."We love Carly".....he gives me a half-assed -don't bother me - smile. (B+)

Ryan comes down into the Mosh pit during the break and they shoot David Archulettas intro from the pit. Ryan is standing just off to the right in front of me....1 row of people from me....I think....ay......is my face going to be on TV.....the old guy in a suit looking like a chaperone for his daughter.......during playback.....Nicole and Navid are clearly seen....I think I see a shot of my face in the background....Nicole is smiling broadly and Navid has a smile/smug look on his face. (Our 15 minutes of fame)


David Archuletta takes the stage and the crowd goes wild. The cheers for him are 5X what they are for everyone else (Is it indicative of his shoo-in for the title? Or is it just the demographic of those that go to the taping? - afterall....the crowd was relatively young....I can honestly say that I think I had to have been the oldest person in the mosh pit....and it didn't help that I had to come from work and was still in a suit/tie.....the mosh pit is filled with a lot of young girls (so that look extremely extremely skanky.....seriously........).....
David is incredible. Voice sounds great....he looks great....has great presence.....the judges love it....the crowd loves it.......(A+).....David's Dad is a little bit of a freak though....I think the rumors about him being a typical stage mom are true based on what I see.....)

Kristy lee cook's up next - Can I say...she is gorgeous.....even more gorgeous tonight in person that she looks on TV. Her Coat of many colors sounds better live than on TV....playback on TV renews my hopes that she might get booted.....but I doubt it....(C-)

Syesha comes out....she looks gorgeous as well. She is very personable during the break as they set up the piano. A guy next to us is trying to get a hug from her....she comes over, but the security stops her and tells her she's got to get to the piano because shes got about 20 seconds.
Syesha keeps making the idol mistake.....don't do Whitney....even a Dolly/Whitney....her version of the song plays better on TV than at the soundstage (B-)

Last up....Michael Johns......can I tell you....even HOTTER in person than on TV. Although he comes across a little arrogant....he's personable enough with the crowd, but in an "I'm already a star" kinda way. His performance is nice....don't like some of the faces he pulls......but overall a strong performance (A-).

Added bonus for us: The show is over but they are going to tape Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown for tonight's show. They set up.....the judges leave and then the Idols are brought back by us again and are seated in the audience.....finally Jordin comes out. You can hear her say that she likes the stage much better this year...it is so nice.....Then Chris Brown comes out....they do a playful warmup.....and then they shoot the performance.....At this point....we are ready to leave....we have been standing for hours and all our backs are killing us.... They want to reshoot the scene......its fun.....something about "no air"....don't know the song...but I like it....I think they are cute together....the rest of my group thought they had no chemistry......

We leave the soundstage.....OMG....its still light outside.....that's right....its only 7:00 on the West Coast......
There's a little cart selling Idol souvenirs....I want to get a T-shirt but there way too many people and we are all tired and hungry so we leave to "the Grove" next door and have dinner.....as we are leaving...."Dances with the Stars results show" has finished taping and the lobby of the restaurant we are in is mobbed with many of the performers from that show....I don't recognize them....but my crew does.....

So that was my incredible night......I had a BLAST!......Big Super Thanks to Nicole for being my friend.......I owe her a night on the town sometime soon to repay her!!!!!!!!

Bottom 3: Should be: KLC, Ramiele, Syesha

Will be: Ramiele, Syesha and Carly

Going home: Ramiele

(Although my crew pointed out that she has never been in the bottom 3...I argue they are wrong [but I think they are right]....they think she is staying because she has a strong fan base...I disagree...it wouldn't be the first time that someone never in the bottom three goes home....didn't that happen to Lakeisha last year?)......

Anyway....I am sooooo late for court......sorry for the long blog....but opportunity only knocks twice.......Rubbertoe.......OUT!

5 comments:

Allison said...

That's so great! I'm very jealous (especially since it was Dolly night!) but I know you had a fabulous time. I'm going to rewatch it and see if we can see you!

Rubbertoe said...

The only possibility of seeing me would be when Ryan is in the Mosh pit...I think before Little David....

You can see a Persian guy...just behind Ryan to the left....that is Navid....my friend Nicole is right of Navid (Phillipino girl)...and I think you can see a glimpse of my smiling face right at the very beginning before it pans in....its really fast though....I'm kinda glad I'm not on tape...I felt like such a nerd in my suit/tie....!
I did post a photo on my profile...not the best photo...but it was the only one that I have on my saved pics here at work....some photos from Greece......

You should get the rest of the crew to post photos on their profiles......including you!

Two disappointments from last night....

1. Nobody sang "Why'd you come in here"...or "two doors down"...but at least nobody sang "Little Sandy(?)"...you know....."Ain;t you got no gingerbread ain't you got no candy".....I HATE that song....except the line "My daddy's drunk again in town".....

2. Dolly wasn't in the audience....:-(

DrL/K said...

This was so exciting to see your play-by-play recap of actually being in the audience!! Such detail, it was like being there too. Thanks so much! That just totally rocked :) We will look for you on the tape when we re-watch it tonight before the show.

Allison said...

Josh has a picture up on his profile. The cute young lady is his friend from Ohio, Nichole.

Allison said...

I'll try to get a photo up this week.